How do You Calibrate a Distance Meter?
Distance meters are commonly used in construction and other fields. It has high accuracy and is a relatively easy-to-use distance measuring device. It is very important to calibrate the distance meter before use, because correct calibration helps to improve the measurement accuracy of the distance meter and reduce errors. How to calibrate the distance meter? Let us understand its calibration method and maintenance items together.
How to calibrate the distance meter
- Check the distance meter equipment to ensure that there are no defects and no missing accessories.
- Select the ranging point, place the tripod, and fix the distance meter on it.
- Set the test point at a distance of about 30 meters, measure the distance with the device, and record the reading. Then measure and record the readings at a distance of 20 meters and 25 meters respectively.
- Compare and analyze the data of the three measurements. As long as the error value does not exceed 3 mm, it means that the calibration is completed, which means that it can be used directly.
Distance meters selection
The distance meter is a distance measuring instrument with a relatively wide range of use. It can not only measure the distance in a small space, but also can be used to measure various terrain distances, so it is widely used in modern battlefields. Airplanes, tuckers, artillery and other vehicles are equipped with laser range finders, which can better align with the target. The laser distance meter can also be used to measure the height of clouds, the depth of mines, etc., so the appropriate laser distance meter should be selected according to the application before use.
We can choose a suitable distance meter according to factors such as measurement range, measurement accuracy and usage occasions. If it is used in the measurement of height or length within a short distance, you can choose an ultrasonic distance meter, which is relatively cheap and suitable for personal measurement of indoor dimensions.
If it is used in indoor measurement that requires relatively high accuracy, you can choose a handheld distance meter (such as ATO handheld digital distance meter 50m), because its measurement accuracy and effect are good, and it is suitable for indoor measurement. If measuring in an outdoor environment, a telescopic distance meter should be used, preferably equipped with a laser sight, reflector, etc.
How to adjust the error of the laser range finder
During the use of the distance meter, if there are some errors, we need to adjust it in time.
First of all, we need to see if the model of the distance meter has an adjustment function. Some distance meters can be adjusted by plus or minus a few millimeters. If there is this function, then you can adjust it according to the manual. If there is no such function, it can only be returned to the manufacturer for after-sales repairs.
Precautions for use
- Pay attention to the positive and negative poles when installing the battery, and use alkaline batteries.
- When measuring, do not point the laser of the distance meter directly at the sun or eyes, or irradiate the eyes through reflective surfaces (such as mirror reflection).
- It must be handled with care during use, and should be avoided in places with excessive humidity and high temperature or direct sunlight.
- There will be large errors in the measurement results when the sunlight is too strong, the ambient temperature fluctuates too much, the reflection effect of the reflective surface is weak, and the battery power is insufficient.
- The ATO 70m portable laser distance meter can be used in rainy and snowy days, but if the laser hits water droplets or snowflakes in the air, it will be affected. In this case, you can measure several times to reduce the error.
Laser range finder maintenance
- Remember to check the appearance of the instrument frequently, and remove dust, dirt, grease, mildew, etc. on the surface in time.
- Use a soft dry cloth to clean the eyepiece, objective lens or laser emission window. It is strictly forbidden to rub the mirror surface with hard objects to avoid damage to the optical performance.
- Regularly check the status and functions of the equipment, including lasers, receivers and batteries. Particular attention should be paid to the cleanliness of the laser and receiver mirrors and the adequate charging of the batteries.
- The laser range finder is a highly integrated instrument of light, machinery and electricity. During use, the laser range finder should be avoided from colliding, falling or vibrating, so as not to affect the accuracy and service life of the instrument.
- If you need to replace the battery, you should use the battery of the same specification, and avoid using batteries of different specifications or different brands, so as not to damage the equipment or affect the accuracy. When measuring in the field, do not point the launch port of the instrument directly at the sun to avoid burning out the photosensitive element of the instrument. If repair or maintenance is required, the equipment should be handled by professionals to avoid equipment damage or safety problems. If you measure according to the safe operation specifications in the instrument manual, the life of the distance meter can be extended by at least one to two years.
- Large changes in ambient temperature will affect the measurement accuracy of the instrument. When the instrument is taken from one environment to another and used in an environment with a large temperature difference, the accuracy of the instrument will temporarily decrease. In order to obtain ideal measurement results, when the ambient temperature of the instrument changes, the instrument should be equilibrated with the ambient temperature for a period of time before use.
- The instrument should avoid contact with overheated objects, objects with strong magnetism and electricity, corrosive objects such as lipids, ketones, ethylene and dichloride.
- To install or replace the battery, you must use a special tool to open the tamper-resistant screw at the bottom of the instrument handle, pull it down to open the battery box, and then install or replace the battery. Pay attention to the direction and polarity of the battery buckle during operation.
- To avoid damaging the distance meter, never immerse the instrument in water. If there is a fault, it should be returned to the company for repair, and the instrument cannot be disassembled at will.