How to use a handheld infrared thermometer?
The infrared thermometer is used for measuring the surface temperature of the object. ATO infrared thermometer is non-contact, handheld and easy to use, especially suitable for measuring the temperature of various hot, hazardous or hard-to-reach objects. This infrared thermometer consists of Optics, temperature sensors, signal amplifier, processing circuit and LCD display. The Optics collects the infrared energy emitted by the object and focus it to the sensor. Then the sensor transforms the energy into an electricity signal. The signal will be turned into a digital number shown on the LCD after the signal amplifier and processing circuit.
Infrared thermometer LCD display
As the Figure on the right shows, the below are the meanings of the icons on the LCD display.
- Data hold
- Laser on
- Backlight on
- Low battery
- Fahrenheit unit
- Temperature reading
Infrared thermometer buttons
(1) Trigger: Press the trigger, and LCD displays reading with SCAN icon. Release the trigger, and display reading with HOLD icon for approx. 7 second. The infrared thermometer has built-in 7-second auto power off function.
(2) Laser on/off button
(3) Celsius/ Fahrenheit unit switch button
(4) Backlight on/off button
Operation of infrared thermometer
- Open the battery door and insert 2*1.5V AAA batteries properly.
- Press the trigger to turn on the infrared thermometer
- Aiming at the surface of the measured object, press the trigger and the temperature will be shown on the LCD. This unit is equipped with a laser, which is only used for aiming.
- To find a hot spot, aim the thermometer outside the target, and then scan up and down until you locate the hot spot.
Buy an easy-to-use infrared thermometer on ATO.com. A series of handheld non-contact digital infrared thermometers are provided for different needs of temperature measurement, and the infrared thermometer for measuring high temperature is also available.