(0) Shopping cart
You have no items in your shopping cart.
Shopping Categories

    5 Mistakes When Using a Dehumidifier

    More than 60% air provides the perfect environment for mold and dust mites to thrive, which can cause nasal congestion, sneezing, coughing, and even wheezing. Too much moisture can also cause problems in your house, including cracked wood furniture and floors, promoting mold growth on carpets, and rusting your toilet tank and plumbing. A dehumidifier can help you reduce moisture in the air, but it's only effective when used correctly. Here are 5 mistakes not to make when using a dehumidifier.

    Mistakes when using dehumidifier

    You don't set the right humidity level.

    The optimum relative humidity level is between 30% and 50%. During the heating season, the goal is 30 to 40 percent in colder regions. If the humidity is higher than this, it can breed dust mites, mold, and cause allergies. Remember, it's also important to make sure the humidity in your home isn't too low, which can lead to dry skin, itching, and other allergy like these symptoms. A cheaper option is a hygrometer, which you can buy for as little as ten dollars online or at your local drugstore. So we can routinely check our humidity levels.

    You don't choose the right spot or size.

    Basements are often the perfect place to install a dehumidifier, as humidity tends to be highest there. Another reason a basement is a good idea is because it usually has a drain so you can easily empty the dehumidifier. To empty the dehumidifier, you need to find the drain on the back of the unit, unscrew the drain plug, and hook up the hose so that it drips directly into the basement drain. Most portable dehumidifiers have a top exhaust that can be placed against a wall, but if yours doesn't, make sure your dehumidifier is positioned away from furniture and walls so that air can circulate freely around the unit.

    You leave doors and windows open.

    Enclosed spaces allow the dehumidifier to work more efficiently. If you put your home dehumidifier in the basement and you have the windows open in an area with a lot of humidity, all you're doing is sucking water from outside into the house, which won't help you at all. It can even infiltrate outdoor allergens like pollen or mold.

    You don't empty dehumidifier regularly.

    Most commercial dehumidifiers use a removable plastic bucket with a warning light when the bucket is full and needs to be emptied. If the water in the bucket sits for a long time, it may cause mold to start growing on the dehumidifier. Severe cases can trigger an allergic reaction, which can irritate your lungs even if you don't have allergies.

    You don't clean it often enough.

    While a 250 pint dehumidifier sucks moisture out of the air, it also sucks out bacteria, mold, pollen, and dust, etc., which means it's necessary to keep the air clean. Weekly cleaning is recommended. Most newer models have an indicator light that will tell you when it's time to scrub.

    Most importantly don't forget to unplug it and wash all its parts with soap and warm water. Dehumidifier buckets, air filters and bucket filters. This is because moisture from the air can build up inside, which promotes mold growth. Let it air dry before turning it on again, and if you can, use the vacuum's small attachment to pick up any remaining dirt.

    Leave your comment