What is the Fiber Optic Sensor?
What is the fiber optic sensor
Fiber optic sensor is a medium that transmits light waves by the principle of complete internal reflection of light, it consists of a core and cladding with a high refractive index. The refractive index of the cladding is smaller than that of the core, and its diameter is about 0.1mm～0.2mm. When the light penetrates into the fiber core through the end face and reaching the interface with the cladding, the light is reflected back to the fiber core due to the complete internal reflection of the light. After constant reflection, the light propagates along the fiber core and has only a slight attenuation. In actual detection process, the fiber optic sensor guides the light emitted by the transmitter to the detection point through light-guide fiber, and then guides the detected optical signal to the receiver through light-guide fiber, the detection is thereof realized. According to the different manner of execution, the fiber optic sensor can also be divided into various types, such as opposite type, diffuse reflectance type. Fiber optic sensor can detect objects in the far area. Due to the fiber loss and fiber dispersion, the intermediate amplifier shall be set at a proper position for long-distance fiber transmission system, so as to process and amplify the attenuated and distorted light pulse signals.
Matters needing attention in the use of fiber optic sensor in electromechanical equipment
- The fiber optic sensor can't be installed in the following environments: direct sunlight, high humidity, corrosive gas, having a direct vibration or impact on the body;
- When the electric-power line, power line and photoelectric switch use the same wiring pipe or wiring groove, the product may be caused for malfunction or damage, please wire separately or use the shield line in principle.
- When extending the line, please adopt a line with the diameter above 0.3mm and the length below 100 meters;
- Detection can be made for more than 200ms after powering on, if the power supply of the load is separated from that of the fiber optic sensor, connect the power of the fiber optic sensor firstly;
- Output pulse occurs when the power is cut off, so cut off the power of the load or the load line first;
- When using a connector, please attach a protective patch to the power supply terminals that are not used to prevent electric shock or short circuit;
- Cut of the power supply when removing or installing the amplifier;
- Please do not extend or press when the fiber optic sensor unit is fixed to the amplifier unit;
- Ensure the safety cover is covered in use;
- Do not clean with the lacquer thinner, gasoline, acetone and paraffin oil.