Difference between Ball Valve and Butterfly Valve
Ball valve and butterfly valve are the two most commonly used valves. Compared with other valves, the two are simpler and easier to operate, and they play a role in the control of cut-off and cut-off of the medium fluid in the pipeline. The ball valve is a control valve in which the opening and closing parts (balls) are driven by the valve stem and rotate around the axis of the ball valve. Butterfly valve, also known as flap valve, is a kind of regulating valve with a simple structure. Butterfly valve can be used for on-off control of low-pressure pipeline medium means that the closing member (disc or butterfly plate) is a disc, which rotates around the valve shaft to achieve opening and closing. Therefore, what are the differences between ball valves and butterfly valves?
Ball Valve vs. Butterfly Valve
Different cut-off method
- Ball valve: block the channel by the ball to realize the cut-off flow of the pipeline.
- Butterfly valve: By spreading and sealing the butterfly plate, the pipeline will not flow.
- Ball valve: It is composed of valve body, valve core and valve stem. Only some parts can be seen in the body.
- Butterfly valve: It is composed of valve body, valve seat, valve plate and valve stem, and all accessories are exposed outside.
Different working principle
- Ball valve: It has a 90° rotation action, just because its opening and closing part is a sphere, it can be opened or closed only by operating a 90-degree rotation, which is the most suitable for switching.
- Butterfly valve: Use the disc type opening and closing member to reciprocate about 90° to open, close or adjust the flow of the medium, which has a good function of adjusting the flow.
- Ball valve: The fluid resistance is small, and its resistance coefficient is equal to the pipe section of the same length. Simple structure, small size and light weight. Tight and reliable, and the sealing surface material of the ball valve is widely used in plastic, which has good sealing performance and has also been widely used in vacuum systems. Easy to operate, quickly to open and close, only need to rotate 90° from fully open to fully closed, which is convenient for long-distance control.
- Butterfly valve: Butterfly valve has the characteristics of simple structure, small size, light weight, low material consumption, small installation size, quick switch, 90° reciprocating rotation, small driving torque, etc., with good fluid control characteristics and shut-off sealing performance.
- Ball valve: It can be used for fluid regulation and control. The multi-port ball valve can not only flexibly control the confluence, diversion and switching of the flow direction of the medium on the pipeline, but also can close any channel and connect the other two channels.
- Butterfly valve: It can be used to control the flow of various types of fluids such as air, water, steam, various corrosive media, mud, oil, liquid metal and radioactive media. It mainly plays the role of cutting and throttling on the pipeline.