11 Tips for Using ATO Spindle Motor
Spindle motor is also called high speed motor, refers to the revolution more than 10000 RPM AC motor. It has the advantages of fast speed, small size, light weight, low material consumption, low noise, low vibration, widely used in wood, aluminum, stone, hardware, glass, PVC and other industries. ATO.com store provides 2 types of spindle: Air-cooled spindle motor and water-cooled spindle motor. Here we will share 11 tips with you when using a spindle motor.
1. The electric spindle motor and VFD shall be suitable with each other. The specifications and parameter settings of the VFD shall match the nominal parameters of the spindle motor, and it will burn the spindle motor if the settings are not correct.
2. Before using water-cooled spindle motor, it shall ensure that cooling cycle system works normally and the running under no cooling conditions is prohibited. The volume of cooling water is calculated as per 1 liter/minute, the minimum flow of cooling water is not less than 5 liter/minute, cooling water pipe and the nozzle shall be connected reliably and there is no leakage.
3. The cooling liquid shall be clean and free of grease and the temperature shall be within 5-30℃. The cooling medium shall carry out force cooling when the ambient temperature is higher than 30℃. The precision lathe requires the cooling liquid with a constant temperature of 20 +/-2℃.
4. During storage and transport of the spindle motor, the status of high-speed grease inside the bearing will change. The user shall run it at a low speed first by starting from the lowest speed of the spindle motor for 30 minutes and then 20 minutes for every 3000 rounds. Otherwise there will have abnormal sound, noise, heat and other phenomena, which will affect the bearing life if the spindle motor is started directly at a high speed. During long term storage, the spindle motor shall run (at low speed) for 15-30 minutes once a week at last.
5. Collet, nut and inner taper hole shall be washed clean when installing blades on the spindle motor in order to avoid any impact on the precision. The blade handle shall be inserted into the collet more than 15mm.
6. For daily machining, the spindle motor shall be warmed up, run for 15-20 minutes when the machining speed is reached and then performs precise machining. It is better to stop the spindle motor for two hours every day in order to recover its mechanical fatigue and prolong its life time.
7. No knocking the end cover of the spindle motor. No hammering the collet and blade head when removing blades. No shocking or colliding during transport, storage and using, especially the end of the spindle motor.
8. The spindle motor shall run in designated direction.
9. The spindle motor shall be installed and fixed according to the relevant drawings and instructions.
10. The temperature shall be within 22-25℃ if water cooling machine is used.
11. The spindle motor adopts vapor lock and the gas source shall not be used until it has passed oil-water separator and dry filter. The air pressure is 0.2-0.25Mpa and the filtering precision is 5μm, otherwise there will cause damages to the bearing.